Friday, October 4, 2013

Where did September go?

Well, from the end of August to the end of September, time really flew by because of all the craziness that went on.
 
At the end of August, Scott went to Nicaragua for 10 days for his study abroad program with his MBA. But, before he left, we celebrated his birthday (as well as our Anniversary). Below is the cake I baked to celebrate with. I have baked the same cake for the last 2 years now because it's just THAT GOOD!!!
 



While Scott was gone on his trip, the girls and I finished getting Lily ready to start school, hit the library quite a bit, and hung out with Grandma and Grandpa S. Below are some pictures we took at Grandpa S's work picnic:
 Maggie really enjoyed being out on the field during the kick ball game. She loved being in the middle of the action :-)
 
 
On September 1st, Scott returned home from Nicaragua. He was the hairiest he has ever been in our 7 years of marriage, but at least he came home with great souvenirs. It was the best reunion ever (and not because of the souvenirs). He came home with a hammock, maracas, spinning top, a cute little toy that you move around a little and the chickens peck on the wood, machete, and lots of fresh honey right out of the comb.
 

Then, Lily started school. The first couple days were a little difficult because it was exhausting being gone from home so long and to top it off the teacher only speaks in Spanish, so it was confusing too. But, after being in school for a month, Lily is picking up on the Spanish language and will randomly say things in Spanish (but she usually gets shy when we ask her to repeat what she said, but wow, it's amazing to hear her speak it and speak it with such ease . . .  nothing "Gringo" about her accent).



We have also been able to enjoy the "fruits" of our little garden. We've had TONS of tomatoes, some carrots, green beans, and a little broccoli too. Here are the girls sporting our tiny carrots:


We were also able to purchase a double jogging stroller, and the girls made quick use of the box it came in by making a clubhouse out of it.

This is one great stroller and I can't wait to use it so I can get some running in. The girls, especially Maggie, are excited about it too. Maggie will just sit in the stroller and ask over and over for a ride. I hope the baby will like it just as much (I can even clip her car seat into it!!! Yay, now I can go running even earlier).


During September, we also got a lot of use out of the hammock that Scott brought back. Lily loved to go outside and read in it. When we have a bigger house I think we'll use it as a little reading nook to use indoors :-)

Sadly, we had to say good-bye to daddy again because the Navy Reserve needed him to come back to Hawaii and do some more work.  So off he went for almost two weeks, but we girls managed.


We even fought a battle with fruit flies and won!!! I created a mixture of cut up grapes, bananas, lemon juice, vegetable oil, and water. Covered it with plastic wrap and poked small holes in the plastic. Then the flies climbed in and couldn't get out!! Yay!!



Nevertheless, even though the month of September was going smoothly, things just came to a complete halt on Thursday, September 26th. I had just gotten back from taking Lily to school and got Maggie settled down with her milk to watch her little bit of PBS. Then I went to the restroom and found that I had some bleeding . . . . not the best sign (especially since I have a complete Placenta Previa that is also covering my C-section scar). So . . . taking a deep breath I called my OBGYN and they told me to go immediately to the birth center. I managed to get a hold of my Visiting Teacher (What is a Visiting Teacher? Click here to find out) who came quickly and picked up Maggie and started the ball rolling for helping us out. See, Scott was still in Hawaii . . . . I was an emotional mess by this point, the second I get to that hospital . . . who knows what would happen.

Anyway, I get to the hospital and while doctors and nurses are checking me, getting IV's, taking blood samples, etc . . . I'm making phone calls to get everything worked out for my girls because the one thing I did know, I was staying in the hospital that night and if the bleeding continued baby girl would be making her debut at 29 weeks . . . 11 weeks early!!

Well, I got all the arrangements made and I got into my hospital room. They gave me Magnesium through IV and a steroid shot (I would get another one the next day). These were both to help support the baby if they did need to deliver her (the steroid helps advance the development of her lungs). I had to speak to the anesthesiologist, the high-risk OBGYN and the NICU doctors. It was so hard to have this all sink in. But, the best news I got, was the text from Scott saying he was coming home that night!! Thank you Navy for having someone there sensitive to our needs!! But, I'm pretty sure all the help we received the second I walked into the hospital was because of our Heavenly Father. He was with me every step of the way and I never felt alone in this trial, even though I did not have my husband with me by my side. I feared the future, but I wasn't alone.

I was in the hospital until Monday, September 30th. I think our hardest day was Sunday, when we found out I wasn't coming home until the next day. Scott and I missed each other terribly and the realization we had that we might have a premature delivery and possible further complications with delivery (possible hysterectomy) weighed very heavily on our minds.

But, I'm home now on bed rest and baby girl is still in the womb, and we have made it almost a week without any further issues. We have been so blessed with countless friends and family offering help and support in hospital visits, Priesthood Blessings (What is a Priesthood Blessing? Find out here), bringing meals, and watching Lily and Maggie. It is such a beautiful feeling to know that we have a huge circle of support and the second our need is great we have a whole congregation we can turn to. The Lord intended us to not be alone in our trials because he is always there and we have living angels on this earth in the faces of our friends and family who are there for us to turn to in our darkest hours. I know that this is true and I will never deny the very idea that there is a Heavenly Father and that he gave his son, our Savior, Jesus Christ to suffer and die for us that we might return to them. I am so grateful to have the knowledge of the true Gospel that Jesus Christ taught when he was on the earth and to be a part of something so important. I know who I am and where I am going and how I am going to get there, and as for the rest . . . I will trust in the Lord and the plan that he has for me. I am happy, even though I've had my ups and downs. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is truly the Plan of Happiness. I hope that you too might find joy in your life.

(My visiting teacher brought the girls to the hospital to visit me that first day . . .
it was such a great moment)
 
 
Until, next time . . . Oh!! I invite you to watch General Conference this weekend. It is a wonderful time to hear from living prophets and the word of God!!! Come with questions because if you are truly looking for answers with your whole heart, they may be answered by one of the talks given.

1 comments:

Lindsay said...

That feeling of being in the hospital with no husband and potential baby coming is the worst. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. A lot of the feelings I felt 5 years ago were remembered just now.

Good luck with baby girl!

Love from afar!