Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Scariness!!!

Ok, so now that Lily is a way more mobile I really need to learn how to watch her closer. I was emptying some books from some boxes my parents just sent us and I didn't realize that 1/2 of a packing peanut was in it. By the time I looked at her she was putting the last little bit in her mouth (she's been getting really good at feeding herself). I got I thought most of it out, but while I was giving her a bath I thought I saw just a tiny piece still in her mouth so I tried so hard to get it out, but I failed and it went down the food pipe.

So, I called Scott, my mother, and then the Poison Control . . . stupid me being a Public Health Educator I should have known to call the Poison Control first!!!! But I called them and said that since she wasn't choking on it then it was a non-poisonous material and I shouldn't be too worried about it, but to keep an eye on her over the next hour to see if she vomits or gets an upset stomach.

For the last hour I was fretting over whether or not anything would happen and of course nothing did, she's breathing and sleeping as usual. Having kids can be very scary sometimes. I worry constantly whether or not she's breathing at night, if she'll fall and hit her head too hard, and SIDS of course. It is a very tiring job as a mother. I can't wait for the first year to be over with so that some of those worries will go away, but I guess other things have to come along to take their place!

Sometimes, I wish I knew what Heavenly Father does and know that everything will be alright . . .but I guess I need to just sit tight and listen for the spirit to tell me so. I'm so glad to have the Gospel and have that wonderful Holy Ghost to help you feel calm and at peace during times of fear and feeling unsure.

Thanks for letting me get this all out . . .

1 comments:

jenn gent said...

I'm glad you found our blog so that I could see yours! :) Your little Lily is adorable. And, yes, you will always have something to worry about, even when she gets older. The joys of motherhood! :)